13, Cooperage Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400 001, India
Head of School
Please log in to view
Campion School is a boys school, founded on January 20,1943, by the members of the Society of Jesus, a Roman Catholic Religious Order commonly called the Jesuits. The Founder Principal was Late Fr. Joseph Savall S.J. The School began its career in a rental ground floor at 45 New Marine Lines with just 23 children, but as the year advanced there were 70 boys on the rolls. Campion School shifted its quarters to its originally intended premises at Wellesley House in January 1948. In 1956, Campion attained the stature of a full fledged High School with 382 children on its rolls, recognized both by the University of Cambridge as an A – CERTIFICATE SCHOOL, and by the SSC Board, Pune.
Fr. Savall S.J. gave birth to the school, Fr. Conessa S.J. nursed it for a while, but Fr. More S.J. gave it a culture and a singular aspect, unique in the history of Campion School.
The Society of Jesus, a Christian Religious Order founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1540, has been active in the field of education throughout the world since its origin. In India, the Society of Jesus is at present responsible for over 300 schools and 19 colleges in which over 32,00,000 young people, belonging to every social class, community and linguistic group are being educated through the medium of English and other regional languages. These institutions are part of the effort of the Catholic Church to share in the country’s educational undertaking. This effort, while being particularly responsible towards the Christian community, has always been at the service of the whole nation. The first Jesuit institution in India was founded in 1542 in Goa and was named St. Paul’s College. Jesuit education is inspired by a vision of man drawn from the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, who has always been respected and admired by the people of India. It is also based on the principles of character formation elaborated by St. Ignatius of Loyola.