Whole School Ethos & Mission
“Education in environmental responsibility can encourage ways of acting which directly and significantly affect the world around us.” (LS 211)
The core of Ignatian Spirituality centers around “finding God in all things.” According to Fr. Pedro Arrupe, finding God “is falling in Love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination will affect everything.” (ALT 277-278) “Therefore, our schools must offer opportunities, in and out of the classroom, for our students to experience the world like this: to fall in love with it.” (ALT 281, Global Identifier 10).
Pope Francis reminds us that an awareness of our common origin, our mutual belonging, and of a future to be shared by everyone will enable the development of new convictions, attitudes, and forms of life. As schools, we have a unique opportunity and an important responsibility to help instill this awareness in our school communities. This responsibility begins by integrating our commitment to care for our common home into our school ethos; our school culture; our mission statement; our promise to educate persons for and with others and all of creation.
- In what way(s) does your school mission statement promote the integration of reconciliation, justice, faith, and care for the environment?
- In which ways does your school collaborate with other schools, networks, marginalized groups in your area and agencies in caring for our common home?
- Does your school have an environmental and social policy (Rio Action Statement #8)?
- Who is responsible for incorporating caring for our common home into your school’s manner of proceeding?
- What actions is your school taking to address the ecological challenge at the local and global levels?
- Appoint an empowered environmental officer/ coordinator for your school.
- Create an environmental mission statement or revise your school’s mission statement to include care for our common home.
- Create an environmental and social policy for your school which informs decisions related to school purchasing, consumption and end of life use of products (products, meals, waste management).
- Reach out to your Education Delegate to connect you with other schools/groups in your Province or Network that are working to care for our common home.