The International Commission on the Apostolate of Jesuit Education (ICAJE) met in Rome from May 24 to 27. The annual meeting is an opportunity for the six regional delegates, the Secretary for Education and the assistants to the Secretariat to come together, share the state of Jesuit Education in the world, the projects of the secretariat and discuss initiatives that can support the construction of the Jesuit School network.
Important topics for this meeting were:
(1) The upcoming International Congress of Jesuit Education Delegates (JESEDU-Rio2017), October 2017 and the results of the virtual version held in March 2017. We see JESEDU as an opportunity that will allow us to work on a global agenda to strengthen the international network of Jesuit Schools. The commission worked in the approach to the ideas for a global agenda
(2) Educate Magis: the commission had the opportunity to discuss the current development of this project aimed to connect schools and allow for global collaboration at the service of the mission.
(3) The commission had the opportunity to reflect around the decrees of the GC36 and the related documents (homilies, letters).
(4) The commission discussed the education delegate role description at the provincial level and began a process to agree on some common basic ground for the job. We also discussed the associated/partnered/endorsed/companion schools as they are classified in each region.
(5) The commission met Fr. General Arturo Sosa SJ and discussed with him some of the most pressing challenges of Jesuit Education in the regions and worldwide.
(6) The Secretary for Education presented the report on Jesuit Education today, the internal and external challenges and the current projects developed by the Secretariat.
José Mesa, SJ – Chair, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education
Rafael Galaz – Assistant to the Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-Secondary Education – Special
William Muller, SJ – Delegate for North America, Director of the JSN
Brian Flannery – Delegate for Europe (JECSE)
Sunny Jacob, SJ – Delegate for South Asia, Secretary for JEA
Hugo Alexis Morales, SJ – Delegate for Latin America, President of FLACSI
Johnny Go, SJ – Delegate for Asia Pacific, Secretary for Secondary Education JCAP
Joe Arimoso, SJ – Delegate for Africa, President of JESAMED