St. Lawrence High School (SLHS), Kolkata, India, in association with its alumni, St. Lawrence Old Boy’ association (SLOBA) will be organizing for the third consecutive year, the DRAWING AND PAINTING competition “Expression 2019” on July 16th 2019. [This deadline has been extended!].
All Jesuit schools worldwide are invited to participate!
This year the theme for the competition is Achieving Peace and Environmental Sustainability through Sports. Emphasis of the painting will be on Olympic Games and the Environment.
The protection of the environment has become a topic of global debate since the Kyoto Protocol of 1997. This treaty on climate change held nations responsible for reducing their greenhouse gas emissions which were recognized as being the cause of global warming. Now the question arises that as a global industry, what is sport doing to raise awareness of environmental sustainability?
School children who are often so enthusiastic about their favorite sport can be educated towards the conservation of the environment. little things can be kept in mind like the proper disposal of waste, using of recyclable disposable water bottles and cups and playing with sports equipment made with environmental friendly material. These things can be instrumental in paving the way for a more sustainable future. To initiate this process we must tap into a child’s thoughts in respect of the theme of this year’s Expression 2019. The idea is to hold a Drawing Competition as a means to harness a child’s creativity and perception of bringing environmental sustainability through Sports. Through worldwide participation we can hope to usher the necessary social change towards achieving sustainability through sports.
How to participate:
The competition has three simple steps:
1. Give your students 1 hour 30 minutes to paint a picture on the theme Achieving Peace and Environmental Sustainability through Sports.
2. Scan or photograph these paintings and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 16th 2019. [This deadline has been extended!]
3. Winners will be announced on Educate Magis at the end of August 2019.
Rules and Regulations: Online Painting Submission – Schools Worldwide, Expression 2019, “Let your being Envision”
1. This painting competition is open to all schools in the world not only Jesuit schools.
2. Achieving Peace and Environmental Sustainability through Sports is the theme of the competition.
3. One entry per student.
4. Paintings must be created in physical media. (no digital paintings)
5. All artwork will be free hand and no geometrical instruments or rulers will be allowed.
6. Artwork must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material.
(If your image infringes upon another’s copyright it will be disqualified.) Upon submitting your work for this competition, you are solely responsible for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
7. Time duration to complete the painting is 1 hour 30 minutes.
8. School authorities are requested ensure fair play in line with the spirit of Olympic Games is maintained.
9. Students need to submit artwork through their principal/headmaster. Principal/Headmaster should email with their official school email address to email@example.com . It is preferred if each school links all the emails to an album containing the paintings of their students.
10. Name, category (see point 18), school name, class, city and country need to be mentioned clearly.
11. Painting needs to be within 1 MB file size.
12. Artwork may be submitted up until midnight of July 16, 2019 Indian Standard Time. No artwork will be accepted past the posted deadline. [This deadline has been extended!]
13. The participants can use any medium of colours.
14. Size of paper is at the discretion of the participants. However, it should be noted that the size should conform to normal scanning size.
15. The artwork might be used by St. Lawrence High School and partners for exhibition and promotion of peace through sport around the world.
16. Organizers and partners reserve the right to request your original artwork or talk to the student via Skype. Non-compliance to this rule will be a disqualification of your entry
17. The event will be judged by a panel who will allot marks individually to each participant on a score sheet under the following headings:
• If the submitted artwork conformed to the theme of the competition.
• If the theme was interpreted creatively.
• Originality of the work submitted.
• Quality of the painting and if medium has been put to maximum use.
• If the art work impacts the viewer in relation to the theme.
• The painting should be representative of the artist’s creativity.
• Composition and design of the painting are important criteria.
Note: The quality of the images submitted will also play a role in the judging process. It is best if the images submitted are no smaller than 600 px.
18. The Categories for the competition are as follows:
• Category 1 – All Schools in Kolkata*
• Category 2 – All Schools Worldwide
There will be following sub-categories for each category:
I – Class / Standard 1 – 2
II – Class / Standard 3 – 4
III – Class / Standard 5 – 7
IV – Class / Standard 8 – 12
Note: All students between the ages of 5 and 18 are most welcome to participate. If you are not sure which category your students belong to simply include their ages and we will put them into their corresponding category.
*All schools in Kolkata will paint live on paint live at St. Lawrence High School on June 21, 2019
19. In each category three prizes will be awarded:
(1) Best Artist (2) First Runner-Up (3) Second Runner-Up
In case of a tie at any stage, the judges will break the tie by consensus.
20. Results of the competition will be announced at a Special Ceremony after the competition. Date will be informed prior to the event. All results will be published on Educate Magis and SportandDev at the end of August.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any further information or suggestions in this regard.